Thursday, August 11, 2005

Television.

Jeremy and I are seriously considering getting rid of our television and DVD player. Many reasons. The number one reason (and could possibly be the only one): we don't use it. I don't even remember the last time I turned it on.

We had Netflix all year, and now I'm just... bored of watching movies. We cancelled it. I hate TV shows so I'm not missing anything there. Well, I did watch three shows last year (Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Desperate Housewives and The Ellen DeGeneres Show), but I figured I could just rent those on DVD and watch them on our computer or at my parents' house. I feel like it's a waste of space to just have a TV sitting there.

Maybe we'll regret it in a few months, but really... I haven't watched TV in about ten years (thanks, Mom and Dad!). And sure, we'd only get like $50 for both, but hey... a dollar is a dollar.

Even as a child, we didn't have cable or satellite. We had to make-do with CBS, ABC and NBC. No biggie. And now... a big part of me wants to be one of those people who others look at with their mouths gaping open saying, "You *don't* have a television?! How do you survive?! What do you DO?!" I do what people did fifty years ago BEFORE television. THINGS. And I feel like I'm neglecting those things.

I want to read more. I want to spend more time with Jeremy and the puppies. I want to scrapbook and hang out with friends. I want to run and bike and hike and do fun things. I don't want to come home and watch television.

And when I'm driving down the street at night, there's always a glow coming from EVERY living room. They're watching television. And I don't want to be one of those windows.

I think I'll just feel better about my life when I look in my living room, and there's just a place to sit. Maybe some art or some nice knick-knacks to look at. But no television. Sure, people will think we're nuts. But... we are. In more ways than one. We're just not TV people, and we no longer want to conform to the thought that it's novel to have one.

So long, television. You won't be missed.

No comments: