Wednesday, December 31, 2003

The New Place.

I can't believe it's the last day of the year! Yikes! Well, I've had one heck of a year. My first year of marriage (the bestest), my first convertible (which I sold), my first new car (which I love), my first (and hopefully last) worker's compensation suit, and my first move to a place I've never been before (northern California). Now THAT... is scary, my friends! I didn't even get to visit before I moved my whole life here. Crazy stuff.

My new house: big. (I like the bigness.)

My new neighborhood: LOUD! (rap music blasting at 2:00 in the morning that you can sing along to [if I could understand the words, that is] when it's next door is SO not cool)

My new neighbors: don't speak English! ... Okay, this one bothers me. I live in a really nice neighborhood in Northern California, USA. I expected people to speak English. But... no. OH! STORY!:

I had this woman knock on my door last night, and she was holding this huge plastic box full of bread. When I opened the door, she looked stunned that I was white. (To her astonishment... a white person! In America! NOOOO!!!) Her eyes were popping out of her sockets, and her head jolted forward out of her neck. It was very strange.

So anyway, she regains composure and says, "You buy buns?" I would have had no idea what the heck she was saying if I couldn't see into the clear plastic box.

Me: "No, I can't. I'm allergic."

Woman who didn't speak English: Blank stare.

Me: "I can't eat bread."

Woman who didn't speak English: Blank stare. Smile and nods. Blank stare.

Me: (slowly, this time) "No, thank you! I'm allergic to bread!"

Woman who didn't speak English: Smile and nods. Walks away.

Okay, now, I'm not making fun of her... I'm just saying... if you're going to sell stuff... to people in America... who speak English... wouldn't it be nice if you, at least, knew how to ask... in English? Grrr... this bothers me.

Other than that, the city is nice. I've managed to meet one person in our complex who speaks English. Sure, she's 60-years-old who just lost her beloved Chow-Chow, but she speaks English, and she's kind. That's enough for me. :)

In other news, I got a very nice job. I'm a nanny for a 12-year-old boy, and I'll be helping his father out at his business as well. I get paid well and only have to work 20 hours a week. It's very nice, and I'm happy. I'll have time to go to school, cook, clean, and take care of my husband and the puppies. Life is good.

*emmett* ~ who now... just needs a friend... who speaks English. Is that really too much to ask?!

No comments: